Term of Office: 23 October 1981 – 11 December 1986
Born: Melville, Saskatchewan 10 June 1929
- First woman to hold the post of Lieutenant Governor in Manitoba and the second in Canada.
- Spent nine years in the banking field and seven as a merchandising representative.
- First woman elected to St. James-Assiniboia City Council 1969.
- Served on Greater Winnipeg City Council 1971-81 and as Deputy Mayor and Chairman of the Executive Policy Committee 1979-81.
- Chairman or member of innumerable boards prior to her appointment including those of the Manitoba Theatre Centre, Rainbow Stage, the Red River Exhibition, and Grace General Hospital.
- A noted gourmet cook, she has written a weekly cooking column in Winnipeg’s daily and community newspapers both prior to and following her term of office.
- Awarded Honorary Doctor of Law Degree, University of Manitoba, 1983.
- Appointed to Order of Canada 1994 and Order of Manitoba 2000.