Term of Office: 2 September 1895 – 10 October 1900
Born: Armagh, Ireland, 1839
Died: Ottawa, Ontario, 17 February 1929
- Educated in Dublin, came to Canada in 1857.
- Called to the bar of Ontario 1876 and practised in Windsor, Ontario.
- Reeve of Windsor for 10 years.
- Member of the Ontario Legislature 1874-78 and House of Commons 1878-95.
- As Federal minister of militia and defence, he sought to strengthen the nation’s permanent force and was responsible for the construction of fortifications at Esquimalt.
- Secretary of State 1892.
- Sought to promote the growth of Canadian literature by founding the Canadian Magazine.