Term of Office: 2 December 1872 – 8 October 1877
Born: Perth, Upper Canada, 17 March 1826
Died: Toronto,Ontario, 28 October 1889
- Educated at Glasgow and McGill, articled in John A. Macdonald’s law office, called to the bar in Upper and Lower Canada in 1851.
- Sat in the Canadian Assembly 1861-67 and the House of Commons 1867-72.
- Minister of Inland Revenue 1869-72.
- Chief Justice of the Court of Queen’s Bench of Manitoba 1872.
- Negotiated and signed on behalf of the Crown Treaties 3, 4, 5, and 6.
- Persuaded St. Paul’s, St. John’s, and Manitoba Colleges to unite as the University of Manitoba 1877.
- Returned to Ontario after term of office, served as Ontario MLA 1878-86.