Term of Office: 10 October 1900 – 1 August 1911
Born: Whitby, Canada West, 14 January 1846
Died: Winnipeg, Manitoba, 14 April 1933
- With an early ambition to be a career soldier, he took part in the suppression of the Fenian Raids of 1866 and was a member of the Wolseley expedition to suppress the Red River Resistance in 1870.
- Established a milling and grain business in Winnipeg in 1874 and shipped the first wheat from Western Canada to Minneapolis.
- First president of the Winnipeg Grain Exchange.
- Elected to Manitoba Legislature 1880, served Centre Winnipeg to 1900.
- Appointed Provincial Treasurer 1889-1900.
- Knighted in 1902.