• The current Ballroom was built in 1960, replacing the original Ballroom which was added to the residence in 1901 for the visit of the Duke and Duchess of York (later King George V and Queen Mary.
  • The West Entrance to Government House, from the grounds of the Legislative Building, provides wheelchair access through the Ballroom.
  • The current wallpapering design was recovered in the 1999 renovation project. The attractive carpet was selected for cleaning and resilience because of high use of room. The new wallcovering design was inspired by textiles of Southeast Asia, with the colours in the foil reflecting those found in the early spice, tea and silk trade.
  • Plush velvet treatment softens and surrounds the windows and entrance way. Translucent sheers allow maximum light to enter Ballroom.
  • The portraits of all previous Manitoba Lieutenant Governors hang in the Ballroom, a project initiated by Mrs. Doris Johnson, former Chatelaine of Government House. The grouping has been reconfigured for maximum effect.
  • The room is set up according to function as required, from dance floor to stand-up receptions to assemblies for awards ceremonies.