Manitoba’s Lieutenant Governors have established several programs to recognize outstanding achievement, often working in partnership with provincial, community and professional organizations. Below is a complete list of the Lieutenant Governor’s Awards.
Order of Manitoba
• Order of Manitoba – Manitoba’s highest honour recognizes individuals who have demonstrated excellence and achievement in any field of endeavour, benefiting in an outstanding manner the social, cultural or economic well being of Manitoba and its residents. Established by the Honourable Peter M. Liba in 1999.
Lieutenant Governor Awards
• Lieutenant Governor’s Award for Excellence in Public Administration – Awarded annually to a public sector practitioner whose career exhibits the highest standard of excellence, dedication and accomplishment in a municipal, provincial or federal government organization in the province. Established by The Honourable Pearl McGonigal in 1986.
• Lieutenant Governor’s Award for Outstanding Contribution to the Community – 2 Crystal Statuettes. Awarded annually at the Celebration of Business Excellence Dinner to an individual and to a business for exceptional contribution to the well-being of the community and quality of life in Manitoba through support of charities, education, cultural institutions, amateur sports or other volunteer community endeavours. Established by The Honourable Peter M. Liba in 2001.
• Lieutenant Governor’s Award for the Advancement of Interreligious Understanding – Awarded annually at a ceremony at Government House to an individual who best embodies understanding between all religious groups. Established by the Honourable Philip Lee in 2010.
• Lieutenant Governor’s Historical Preservation and Promotion Award – Five awards presented annually to people who have rendered prolonged, meritorious service in the preservation and promotion of Manitoba’s history and heritage. Established by the Honourable Philip S. Lee in 2011.
• Lieutenant Governor’s Make a Difference Community Award (Lieutenant Governor’s Volunteer Service Award) – Presented annually to up to six individuals who represent the urban, rural and northern areas of the province and who have embodied the spirit of volunteerism and made a lasting and meaningful contribution to his or her community. Established by The Honourable Peter M. Liba in 2000.
• Lieutenant Governor’s Trophy – Junior Women’s Hockey Tournament – Glass Trophy.Initiated by MWJHL Hockey Association and presented by the Lieutenant Governor following the MWJHL Hockey Tournament, Gold Medal game held the first weekend in February.
• Lieutenant Governor’s Vice-Regal Volunteer Award – Presented annually to an individual in Manitoba who has embodied the spirit of volunteerism and made a lasting and meaningful contribution to the province. Established by The Honourable Peter M. Liba in 2000.
• Manitoba Provincial Rifle Association – Awarded annually to the competitor with the highest aggregate score in the Lieutenant Governor’s Match (fired at 300, 400, 600, 800 and 900 yard ranges).
• St. John’s Ambulance Vice-Prior’s Award – Trophy. Initiated by St. John’s Ambulance in 2008 to be awarded annually at the annual investiture ceremony to be held at Government House each May. The award is intended to recognize significant contribution in furthering the objects of the Order and St. John Ambulance in Manitoba by either an individual or a community organization.
• Winnipeg Music Competition Festival, Lieutenant Governor’s Trophy. Awarded annually for the most outstanding solo or group performance. Donated by the late Honourable Errick F. Willis in 1963.
• Assiniboine Community College, Brandon – 2 Silver Medals. Awarded annually to students with demonstrated proficiency in the following categories:
– Business Applied Arts Division
– Industrial Technical Division
• Brandon University – Gold Medal. Awarded annually to the student with the highest standing in the first two years at Brandon University, excluding the faculty or school represented by the Governor General’s Gold Medal.
• Red River Community College, Winnipeg – 4 Silver Medals. Awarded annually to students with demonstrated proficiency in the following categories:
– Diploma – Science Department
– Diploma – Arts Department
– Certificate – Science Department
– Certificate – Arts Department
• University College of the North – 1 Gold Medal. Awarded annually to a student with demonstrated proficiency in academics
• University College of the North – 3 Silver Medals. Awarded annually to students with demonstrated general proficiency in trade, diploma and certificate programs (excluding trades).
• University of Manitoba – Gold Medal. Awarded annually to the student with the best record in scholarship and personal qualities throughout the Degree Course in Agriculture. Originated in 1922.
• University of Winnipeg – Gold Medal. Awarded annually to the student who qualifies for the Bachelor of Arts (General) degree and who has secured the highest standing determined by the final grades obtained in the best 15 credit courses completed.